Ever since man invented the wheel, traveling has become a lot easier. The wheel has dominated all industries and has become available in all sizes. One of the smallest and most convenient examples of this is the skateboard.
If you are new to the skateboarding field and don’t know a lot about bushings, you can check out this article on how to pick out your skateboard’s bushings.
The Best Bushings for Carving
In this review, we talk about the 6 best options available on the market, so that you can pick out the best bushings for carving according to your preferences.
This set of bushings from Venom Downhill comes in a pack of 2, and are of the Super High Rebound type, meaning that they have a lot of bounce on them for better carving. They can be used for downhill freeride, carving, and cruising. This pair of bushings is built especially for speed, and people who love to cruise down slopes can make good use of these.
The two-barrel bushings improve stability by providing a better centerpoint, working perfectly by not compromising your ability to turn when you’re cruising at high speeds.
- Package contents — 2 bushings
- Package dimensions — 5 x 5 x 2 inches
- Item weight — 40 pounds
- Product color — White
- The bushings are of the Super High Rebound kind, increasing their bounce factor and giving you a better, smoother experience.
- The double barrel bushings give you more stability by improving your centerpoint, giving you a better turning experience at higher speeds.
- The bushings are quite versatile and can be used for carving, cruising, or freerides.
- The colors on these bushings are not very attractive, and if you’re looking for a more quirky pair of bushings for your skateboard, these might not be the best fit for you.
These bushings by Orangatang come in a packet of 4 (Nipples is the product name) and are among the softer ones on the list. They come in a big size and lively colors that lend a certain character to your skateboard. Their material can help you bounce out of every carve with a good rebound.
The bushings are slightly wider and taller than stock bushings, providing you with more support and more material, which in turn improves the responsiveness of your skateboard. The set not only comes with 2 pairs each of different sized bushings but also with 4 washers to make them fit better.
- Package contents — 4 bushings, 4 washers
- Item dimensions — 0.66 inch bushings (x2), 0.56 inch bushings (x2)
- Product color — Orange
- The bushings are of a bright orange color, which can make your skateboard look really good.
- This set of bushings comes in two different sizes for more freedom when carving.
- A set of 4 washers included in the package gives you a tighter fit and more control over your turns.
- If these bushings do not fit correctly on your board, it’s better to return them, or they might crack with use.
- If you’re new to skateboarding, getting soft bushings might throw you off the board with the quick turning action.
This set of bushings from Orangatang is called Knuckles and comes in a set of 4. They’re made in a soft setting and have a high-rebound Randy Thane formula. This makes them ideal for responsive and energetic turning.
The set has a total of 4 bushings, 2 of which are standard barrel bushings and 2 are gumdrop bushings, giving you the freedom to pick between whichever you prefer. The gumdrop bushings are a subtle blend between conventional cone shapes and barrel shapes and help in improving your agility on the skateboard. The set also comes with 4 washers to ensure a good fit on your longboard.
- Package contents — 2 barrel bushings, 2 gumdrop bushings, 4 washers
- Item dimensions — 0.59 inch barrel bushings (x2), 0.64 inch gumdrop bushings (x2)
- Product color — Orange
- The set comes with barrel bushings as well as gumdrop bushings, giving you more choices on which bushings to use for your longboard.
- Washers are included in the set, giving you a better fit and more mobility on a skateboard.
- The bushings offer highly responsive and customizable turning, with a high rebound rate.
- If you know for sure that you want barrel or gumdrop bushings, this might not be the right fit for you because of the different assortment offered.
- Soft bushings are usually more responsive than medium and hard ones, and you should know how to handle yourself on a skateboard before you go for these.
This set of bushings from Bones Wheels comes in a set of 4 and has a conventional conical design for better mobility on a skateboard. 2 of these bushings are larger in size while 2 are smaller to offer you more customizability, and a pair of washers are also included in the package for giving your bushings a better fit.
These bushings can easily be used for carving and cruising. The soft material used on the bushings gives you a high rebound, ensuring that you can make close turns and pivot very well with their help.
- Package contents — 4 conical bushings, 2 washers
- Product color — Black and Blue
- Conical bushings are great designs for people who know what they’re doing on a skateboard and offer the most responsive turning.
- The carving on these bushings is pretty deep, making them great for city use.
- The bushings are soft, giving you the best experience when it comes to making tight turns and pivots.
- If you’re new to skateboarding, soft bushings might not be for you as they might throw you off with their quick turns.
- If you prefer the stability of barrel bushings, these might not be the right choice for your longboard either.
These conical bushings from Venom Bushings come in a set of two and have the unique feature of glowing in the dark. They are excellent for carving and cruising on the streets on your skateboard. If you usually skateboard in an area that requires you to make tight or deep turns, these are an excellent fit for you.
The design on these bushings is double conical, which provides the least resistance to you while turning but also has enough spring in them to keep you on track and not throw you off the board.
If you are a beginner, these could be an excellent fit for you.
- Package contents — 2 conical bushings
- Package dimensions — 5 x 5 x 2 inches
- Product weight — 0.64 ounces
- Product color — White, glow in the dark
- The design on these bushings is double conical, making them a great fit for people who want the least resistance while turning but also enough spring to keep them on track.
- The bushings glow in the dark, giving your skateboard or longboard a quirky feature.
- These bushings are great for both cruising and carving and busy streets.
- For expert skateboarders, the responsiveness on these bushings is a bit compromised for stability, and this might not be the best fit.
- If you’re more suited to barrel bushings, the double conical design on these bushings might not be up to your satisfaction.
These bushings from Shorty’s come in a pack of two, and include one top bushing and one bottom bushing. One pack of these bushings is needed for each truck. These bushings are made out of the highest quality urethane and are excellent for carving.
The bushings are molded with round edges, giving them certain durability and making them resistant to cracking and chipping after use.
Doh-Dohs are a good option for replacing worn out or broken bushings.
- Package contents — 2 conical bushings
- Package dimensions — 4 x 3 x 1 inches
- Product weight — 1.6 ounces
- Product color — Yellow
- These bushings are a great option if your stock bushings are cracked, broken, or worn out.
- The bushings come in a unique conical design with molded edges, making them durable and resistant to chipping and cracking.
- The pack contains one top and one bottom bushing, giving you a more complete experience.
- Even though Doh-Doh bushings are great additions to your skateboard for a more custom feel, they are not quite as useful as stock bushings.
- If you prefer gumdrop or barrel bushings, these might not be the right fit for you.
Now that you have your skateboard, the energy and enthusiasm, and the information about the specifications, pros, and cons of each of the bushings mentioned in this list, you are probably still confused about which of these are the best bushings for carving.
Don’t worry, we have got you covered. For your benefit, we have curated a condensed buyer’s guide according to your skill level and the best selling points of the bushings mentioned in this list, so that your job of picking one gets that much easier.
- For Beginners: Soft bushings are not for you. If you are just starting off on Skateboarding, picking bushings that are too soft might cause accidents when you’re moving at high velocities. For you, we would suggest the Shorty’s Yellow Doh-Doh Bushings Medium Soft or the Venom Super Carve Glow Skateboard Bushings.
- For Experts: If you have your own spray painted, customized skateboard that you have been carving on for years, you need soft bushings that are extremely responsive. For you, we would suggest the Orangatang Nipples Longboard Skateboard Bushings or the Bones Wheels Soft Bushings.
- For Versatile Skateboarders: If you need some bushings that fit well, work well, and also leave some room for more choices, you should check out the Orangatang Knuckles Longboard Skateboard Bushings or the Venom Downhill Bushings.
After wheels started off as a means to make transportation comfortable in the form of carts and then eventually motorized vehicles, someone was bound to come up with a manual way to use them for single person transport. And what better way is there than to stick a few of those things under a board to stand on so you can zoom past, several times your walking speed with the same effort?
Skateboarding has become a raging sport, and many youngsters carry their skateboard around all the time, using it as their primary “mode of transport” for small distances. On a skateboard, you find some things called bushings, that are necessary to make the skateboard turn and maneuver through the streets.
If you’ve read this entire article, it is clear that you are a skateboarding enthusiast looking to improve your carving skills by picking up a set of bushings that will give you the best balance between speed and stability.
Based on your skills and on the bushings design you usually go for, we hope that you have found the right set for you. If you’re interested in more such reviews, please feel free to check out our other articles on similar topics as well. Good luck with your skateboarding ventures, and have fun!