Electric orbital sanders are power tools that are used to grind down surfaces using circular orbiting movements. The slant of the rotating sander’s head and that of the disk change randomly.
These hand-held electrical tools have one distinct difference from belt sanders. The orbital sander works by spinning the sander disk while the user simultaneously moves it in small elliptical movements.
Furthermore, the electrical sander does not conform to the direction of the wood grain. This property is useful when you are smoothening two pieces that are to be joined at right angles.
Electrical sanders use sandpaper disks as the abrasive material. Many models of orbital sanders also integrate a wood dust collection bag into the sander.
Sandpaper disks are attached to the sander using a hook and loop system or pressure-sensitive glues.
For electrical sanders with dust collection features, discharged wood dust exits the sander through exit holes. A vacuum hose adapter sucks and deposits the dust into a canister, bag, or shop vac.
The following are the best electric orbital sanders we have reviewed for 2020. We have found that they are capable of accomplishing a variety of finishing and polishing tasks on wooden surfaces. We also list their advantages so that you can compare and make an informed decision.
1. BLACK+DECKER Electric Sander, 1/4 Sheet, 1.5-Amp (BDEQS15C)
The Black + Decker BDEQS15C is made for producing flawless finishing on the following applications:
- Sanding doors
- Furniture construction
- Smoothening tabletops
- Built-in dust collector
- The power switch has been sealed to being dust-proof
- The handle has been ergonomically designed to provide a comfortable grip for sanding
- Product weight: 2.69 pounds
- Product dimensions: L X W X H – 7.8 x 5.24 x 6.1 inches
What’s in the Package?
- One BDEQS15 Sander
- ¼ sheet sandpaper
- Dust bag
- Paper punch
- The handle is designed to have a comfortable grip
- The built-in dust collector protects the internal electric components which extend the working life of the sander.
- The power switch is resistant to dust
- The tension clips cannot hold the sanding paper firmly enough
The sander is used for general sanding, smoothening, and finishing applications. Its small size and comfortable grip makes it desirable for DIY projects.
2. BLACK+DECKER Electric Sander, 1/4-Inch Sheet, Orbital (BDEQS300)
BLACK+DECKER BDEQS300 was made for intricate detail work and sanding around the house. The sander provides a clean, smooth surface as it goes, thanks to its efficient dust collection system.
The BDEQS300 ¼ sheet sander is highly efficient at 1600 orbits per minute and operates at 2.0 amps. You can count on it to efficiently remove excess material and provide a smooth working surface.
- Runs at 1600 revolutions per minute on a 2.0 amp motor
- Operates with a 270-degree sanding clearance
- The power switch is located on the paddle grip for easy activation and switching off
- The sander collects the dust as soon as it produces it, creating both a clean and smooth surface
- Made for detail work and finish sanding
- Features a tri-layer filtration system
- Product dimensions: 8.81 x 5.13 x 6.31 inches
What’s in the Package
- One BDEQS300 Sander
- Sheet sandpaper
- Paper punch
- Dust bag
- Due to its small size and its intuitive design, you can use this sander in tight spaces that need maximum control
- The paddle switch feature on the sander makes it easy to both activate and deactivate safely
- To turn on this sander, just press your palm down on the paddle as if it’s already in use
- The sander can either be locked in the “on” or “off” mode with one hand
- It has a highly affordable price tag
- We feel that the power cord should be longer
This sander is suitable for a variety of home improvement projects. While it is light and compact, it’s powerful enough to handle construction and furniture making jobs.
3. Milwaukee Electric Tools 2648-20 M18 Random Orbit Sander
The Milwaukee M18 is a friendly beast yielding up to 12,000 orbits per minute of sanding action. If this is too high, there is a speed dial to give you more control over the tool.
- The sander offers 7000-12000 orbits per minute, depending on the selected speed
- The sanding pad is attached via the hook and loop method
- It uses a 5 inch sanding kit
- Orbit diameter: 3/32 inches
- The maximum orbit speed powered by this sander is 12,000 orbits per minute
- Product dimensions: 6 x 11 x 7 inches
- Product Weight: 2.7 pounds
- Since this sander is cordless, you can sand any surface without straining
- Its 3.0 Ah battery can deliver up to 35 minutes of run time. This is perfect for small projects
- Variable speed control option allows you to easily control the too
- This is a large sander that only seems to work comfortably on large, flat surfaces
- The handle is chunky so it will be uncomfortable to use for extended periods
The Milwaukee sander is perfect for both large and small projects that need to be done quickly. It is not tethered by an electric cord, so you can probably use it on large and awkward surfaces.
4. Bosch Power Tools – GET75-6 N – Electric Orbital Sander, Polisher
What one will notice initially about this Bosch orbital sander is the ergonomic design. The tool has a random orbiting mode as well as a direct drive eccentric-orbit turbo mode. The latter is for aggressively removing the wood stock.
Bosch GET75-6N random orbit sander is a heavy-weight machine that delivers three times above the standard rate of other random orbiters.
It has two sanding modes: The random orbit mode that removes wood stock normally to provide smooth finishing. The other mode is the eccentric-orbit mode for highly aggressive stock removal that is five times the normal sanding rate.
It has a passive dust collection system that requires the incorporation of vacuum cleaners and hoses. The grinder is compatible with the following Bosch vacuum hoses:
- VAC002 (This is included in the shipping package)
The top handgrip is tapered and cushioned to provide a soft grip design. This way you can smoothen and polish for hours without getting uncomfortable.
- It has different speed modes as follows: No-load speed from 290 to 640 RPM and a no-load orbit speed of 3300 to 7300 orbits per minute
- The sander has a 7.5-amp speed motor that accommodates the various speed modes to provide power and flexibility for the different jobs
- Features a multiple-hole pad system to allow the tool to accommodate a variety of abrasive disks (this translates into job flexibility)
- This sander is new user-friendly
What’s in the Package
- Bosch GET75 6N
- Hex pad wrench
- Soft backing pad
- Sanding disk
- Detachable front handle
- 2 vacuum hose adapters
The Bosch GET75 6N is great for normal sanding jobs, normal wood removal, wooden floors, furniture finishing, and polishing jobs.
- This is one of the sanders that are big on providing maximum control to the user with the incorporation of auxiliary handle mounts
- The multi-hole pad system accommodates a variety of sanding disks for a variety of functions
- Pad dampening and the braking system ensures that there will be no swirl marks when sanding
- It has a die-cast aluminum gear housing fortified with a double bearing pad to absorb vibrations
- An enhanced dust collection system when used together with a vacuum cleaner and hose
- You have to purchase the dust collection system’s vacuum cleaner separately
- The price of this sander is on the higher side
The sander is perfect for normal removal and most sanding jobs, wood floors, furniture finishing and polishing applications
5. ALEKO DP-3000 Electric Variable Speed Drywall Sander with LED Light 710 Watts
The Aleko is an industrial electric sander for drywall. The sander is comfortable to use, powerful, and able to easily accomplish intensive polishing and cleaning work.
It is designed to polish and sand floors, walls, and ceilings. Use it for cleaning jobs to remove adhesives and other residues.
- Aleko industrial sanders have a speed of between 800-1700 RPM which can be adjusted to suit the task
- Energy consumption stands at 710W, 110V
- Features a LED 3.8-watt bulb
- Use this sander on its own or attached to a vacuum cleaner adapter (which is sold separately)
- The sander is compatible with an Aleko vacuum attachment made specifically for this sander but sold separately
- Product dimensions: 11.5 x 10 x 49 inches
- Product weight: 7 pounds
- There is a speed setting for every project you want to undertake, adjust it as required
- The sander can be used on its own or hooked with a vacuum bag to provide a clean working surface
- The LED 3.8-watt bulb ensures that the project goes on even in low light environments
- You have to purchase a vacuum bag. If not, the sanding dust falls directly on your face
This is a heavy-duty industrial sander designed to do the jobs that would be too hard for an ordinary sander to do.
6. GALAX PRO Electric Orbital Sander,12000 OPM Mouse Detail Sander (QD6306C)
The Galax Pro (QD6306C) is also known as a mouse sander because of its compactness and ability to squeeze into small spaces.
- Designed with a 360° rotating plate to allow you to polish full circles from the left or right
- The 1.6 amp powerful motor can run at up to 12,000 orbits per minute for quick polishing work
- Frequency: 60 hertz
- The sander’s handle is covered with soft rubber to provide a firm yet comfortable grip
- The sander comes with a detachable dust collection box
What’s in the Package
- 1 Galax Pro (QD6306C) sander
- 10 pieces of mouse sandpaper
- Soft rubber handle enhances comfort when working
- The small yet powerful motor powers the sander through the tough tasks
- The dust box provides a clean and safer work environment
- The removable dust box is convenient to work with
- It is compact and lightweight. This property also helps it work hard to reach places.
- Although it is compact to hold, it produces a lot of vibration
The Galax Pro sander is ideal for precision projects and for creating intricate details. The sander is compact with a cushioned high-traction handle to maneuver the tool with ease.
How to Safely Use an Electric Sander
If you are going to use electrical sanders regularly, there are safety precautions to take. Being cautious ensures that there are no fatal accidents in the workshop.
Safety precautions include the following rules:
- Wear eye protection which can be safety goggles while sanding.
- Protect your respiratory system from wood dust by weaning a dust mask. Masks with a ventilator are preferred since they prevent the build-up of moisture.
- When you want to change sanding materials ensure that the machine is off and disconnected from the main power supply before you start.
- Secure the piece of wood that needs sanding before you begin your polishing work
- Firmly grip the handle of the sander before turning it on. Accidental slips have the potential to cause serious injuries or damage to the sander.
- Keep the sander flat and constantly in motion as you work
- When sanding, don’t press down on the surface you are working on
- If your electrical sander has any openings for ventilation, regularly clear them of dust and debris.
- When you are done with your task, lift the sander of the polished surface. Next, turn it off and wait for the surface to stop spinning before you store it.
- Clean the sander after every session.
- When the sander is not in use, unplug it.
- The ideal storage space is somewhere dry and free of frost.
Seasoned carpenters and hardcore DIY-ers will tell you that the cardinal rule is to sand towards the direction of the wood’s grain. This is to avoid creating a couple of swirling cross-grain marks that will make your surface look scarred.
However, there are instances like polishing a parquet floor when the direction of the grain changes from one board to the next. In this situation, a normal sander will definitely leave some blemishes, but a random orbital sander won’t.
Using an orbital sander is both the quickest and the most effective way of avoiding scuff marks on a wooden surface. The random orbital sander uses a sanding pad that simultaneously oscillates and moves in an elliptical manner.
The combination of oscillations and moving in orbits has proven very effective in reducing the occurrence of sanding masks.
Sanding is one of the simplest tasks in woodworking. It doesn’t take too much effort, neither does it require advanced skills. However, this simple and enjoyable job requires that you have the right tools to accomplish it.
A good electrical sander will ensure that your sanding needs are well met.