There are misconceptions that gas-powered saws are usually more powerful. And, to some extent, they are — though they also have their cons. The best part about battery-powered saws is that you can use them almost anywhere, and some will give you the same power that you can get with a gas or wall outlet powered saw.
You need to choose the right saw with a good battery life. A cordless saw is most suitable for lighter tasks as most of them do not have as much power.
The Best Cordless Saws: Reviews
In this product buying guide, we compare the six best cordless saws that you can find on the market today. Let’s get started!
It is equipped with DigiPro brushless motors that are very reliable as they can give you a powerful performance that is equivalent to a 45cc gas engine. It has a fast chain speed of 15 meters per second.
The saw has a sturdy build with steel bucking spikes, durable metal material around the handle, and an electronic chain brake to make it safe for you to use.
- Product Dimensions: 7.56 x 32.4 x 9.65 inches
- Product Weight: 10.8 pounds
- Up to 150 cuts when it is fully charged
- 30-minute charge time (with standard battery/not included)
- Reliable brushless motor
- Powerful gas-equivalent performance
- Sturdy build with steel bucking spikes, durable cutting material, and electronic chain
- Easy to operate as you only have to push a button for the machine to start
- Some users complained that the chain constantly separates from the chain bar which is inconvenient
- Some users complained about a poor battery life
This is a tool with a variable 2-speed brushless motor to give you 0-2300 and 0-3000 strokes per minute. Faster cutting is also achieved by its 1-1/4-inch stroke length. In addition to that, it has a variable speed trigger for added convenience.
It is characterized by a tool-less blade change system that helps you perform fast blade installations and removals for maximum productivity.
The tool’s build is made with an Extreme Protection Technology (XPT) that is both water and dust resistant.
It is compact with an ergonomic design as it is only 17-¼ inches long and weighs only 8.2 pounds without the battery. It has rubberized soft grip handles for comfort while you are working.
The tools feature an LED light to help illuminate the line of cut.
It is powered with an 18V battery that also has a fast charge capability.
When you buy it, you only get the tool. So, you have to purchase the battery and charger separately.
- Product Dimensions: 4.61 x 18.94 x 8.62 inches
- Product Weight: 7.8 pounds
- 2-speed brushless motor for flexible speeds
- Features a variable speed trigger for more convenience
- Tool-less blade change system that helps you change bits quickly
- Relatively compact and ergonomic
- LED light to illuminate the cut area for more accuracy and precision
- Some users complained that it offers slow strokes
- It eats up battery life fast
It is equipped with a high-efficiency brushless motor that maximizes the run speed, chain gauge, and motor life. It can give you a chain speed of 25.2 feet per second.
To give you the right bar clamping force, it uses a tool-free tensioning and bar tightening knob.
It is compact and lightweight as it only weighs 8.8 pounds, which provides easier user control.
- Product Dimensions: 25 x 9 x 9 inches
- Product Weight: 8.8 pounds
- Compact and lightweight
- Easy to use (with care)
- High-efficiency brushless motor
- High chain speed of 25 feet per second
- Great for quick jobs/doesn’t require gas
- Some users had an issue with the chain jumping off the track (dangerous)
- Not intended for heavy duty use
It is compact since it is 12-inches from bar to chain and has an automated oiling system for convenience.
It gives you the option of tool-free chain tensioning so that you can make fast and easy chain adjustments.
Lastly, it has a comfortable handle that is fully wrapped and has an LED light to show you the battery status.
- Product Dimensions: 9.63 x 28.56 x 8.81 inches
- Product Weight: 10.4 pounds
- It has a long battery life of 2ah
- Up to 60 cuts when fully charged
- Automated oiling system
- Fully wrapped handle to ensure comfort
- Easy to use and adjust for a chainsaw
- It is only intended for light cutting tasks
- Some users complained that the automated oiling system did not work as well as advertised
It has a 20V lithium-ion battery with a high capacity of 1.5Ah.
The equipped 7-1/4-inch blade will give you 2-9/16-inch cutting depth. It is easy to use and comes with a bevel capacity of 57 degrees.
When you buy the tool, you get a 3 year limited warranty.
- Product Dimensions: 11 x 8 x 10 inches
- Product Weight: 8 pounds
- It has a high-speed motor of 5200 RPM
- 20V battery with 1.5ah lasts long enough for light tasks
- Easy to use
- Ergonomic and comfortable
- It is a lightweight saw hence suitable for small branches
- Not meant for heavy duty jobs
This is a chainsaw with a brushless motor that gives you 30% more torque for excellent cutting performance. The engine has an innovative design that will provide you with 70% less vibration, which is more comfortable and more precise. The brushless motor reduces wear and tear, helping to extend the life of your motor and battery.
It has been maximized for safety as it has a chain brake, handguard, and quick release trigger.
It works well with the GreenWorks G-MAX 40V Battery models, 29472 and 29462 (purchased separately). They both have a battery life of 2Ah and offer a chain speed of 11 meters per second.
It has a transparent tank and an auto oiler for convenience. The electric start makes this saw easy to use.
It is also lightweight and operates smoothly.
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 31 x 9 inches
- Product Weight: 11.6 pounds
- It is equipped with a brushless motor with more torque capacity
- Ergonomic and reduces vibration by 70% compared to similar models
- It is maximized for safety
- Has a long battery life
- Auto oiler with a transparent tank
- Easy to use (with care)
- Some users had issues with oil leaks
All six cordless saws are great picks that will serve you well. They may not be as powerful as a gas-powered chainsaw, but some will give you the same intensity in smaller spurts.
In this part of the guide, we focus on the particulars that differentiate the saws. Here is a quick guide:
The highest number of cuts: If you are looking for a saw that can give you the highest possible number of cuts using battery power, then the Greenworks PRO 18-Inch 80V Cordless Chainsaw is the best match as it can do up to 150 cuts when it is fully charged.
Fastest chain speed: When a saw has a fast chain speed, it means that it is efficient. In this case, the DEWALT 20V MAX XR Chainsaw is efficient with a chain speed of 25.2 feet per second.
Saw with variable speeds: All the saws have variable speeds, but the Makita XRJ05Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Recipro Saw can give you 2-speed settings that range from either 0-2300 or 0-3000 RPM.
Saw with highest no-load speed: When it comes to the highest speeds before a load is applied, the DEWALT 20V MAX 7-1/4-Inch Cordless Circular Saw with Brake Kit takes the prize as it can reach speeds of 5200 RPM.
Least expensive saw: In terms of the price, the most affordable saw in the set is the DEWALT 20V MAX XR Chainsaw that you can get for $143.93. Although it may be the cheapest, it does not come with a battery. For a saw that comes with the battery, the cheapest is the BLACK+DECKER 40V Max Cordless Chainsaw that retails at $199.
Our overall recommendation: When we compare the six, our favorite is the DEWALT 20V MAX XR Chainsaw. It is not only cheap but has many great features, such as a fast chain speed that will serve you well.
Tips to Consider
Before you set out to buy a cordless saw, you have to know what to look at when looking for one. Features include:
The motor: The motor of a saw is like the heart of the saw. Motors that are brushless are comparatively better as they can give you more power, work for extended periods, and are more durable.
Battery life: For a cordless saw, the battery life is significant as it determines how long you can use the saw before having to recharge it. Battery life is measured in amp hours (AH), and the higher the battery levels, the better.
It is good to remember that the scale of work you are doing may affect your battery life. A high-intensity task is likely to use more battery. The battery performance also tends to decline with time.
Power rating: The power of a saw influences the kind of task it can do. Power is measured in amps. Most modern saws are made with a 15-amp motor. There are, however, those that have more power levels.
The size of the blade: The blade size affects the thickness of the cut it can perform. Bigger blades can cut through thicker diameters and vice versa. It is better to go for a saw with the most significant blade size.
Ergonomics: The saw needs to feel right in your hand. It should have the right weight and a comfortable handle. Unfortunately, that can be hard to know if you are shopping online. You can check on customer reviews and the product description to see the weight and materials used to judge if it will be comfortable for you.
Cost: Saw prices will vary depending on their features and build quality. When it has more features, it is likely to cost more.
To settle on the perfect cordless saw, you have to research and compare. We hope this guide narrowed down your options and for more guides check out our other articles too!