If you are familiar with drill bits, you probably know the ones for wood have a small pointed tip. You also know there are other factors to consider when looking for the best drills in the market.
If you are working on wood, the type of drill that you choose has a significant influence on your success. Apart from the type, you also need to get the right size depending on your drilling needs.
Although there may be many drills in the market, it is still easy to get the best drill bits for wood.
In this buying guide, we look at the top six drill bits for wood that you can find in the market. They are functional, the right size, and with the right specification to give you value for money. Here is what we have for you today.
The six pieces of 90-degree countersink drill bits will give you a 90-degree angle for sharp and precise countersinking. To ensure sharpness, the cutting edge is hardened and honed. The drill is in a chatter-free five-flute design and arranged cutting teeth to give you a free chip flow and rapid chatter-free cutting.
There are seven pieces of the three-pointed countersink drill bit with an L-wrench made with high-speed steel with high abrasion resistance and durability. The seven pieces are all of different sizes 3mm,4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, and 10mm for drilling holes. There are five edge chamfers to help your sawdust discharge easily and fast.
There are eight pieces of 3/8” shank wood plug cutter drill set made of durable carbon steel material. There are ¼”, 3/8″, ½,” 5/8″ wood plugs to cover recessed screw holes.
There are three pieces of ¼” Hex shank HSS step drill bit set that is suitable for drilling holes of different materials such as iron, copper, aluminum, wood, PVC sheet, insulation boards. It is not best for hard and brittle material such as glass or stainless steel.
The set comes with a 100% money-back guarantee.
- Package Dimensions: 6.69 x 5.87 x 1.73 inches
- Product Weight: 2.05 pounds
- They are made of HSS, which makes them durable.
- The set is functional, as it has the essential tools that you will need.
- The set can drill holes of different materials apart from hard and brittle materials.
- They have high abrasion resistance.
- Some users complained of poor machining of the products as they had jagged edges, uneven bit edges, and poor assembly.
It has no spin shanks so that it can be secure in the drill.
The tools come in a rigid case container for an order.
The different tools all have a titanium coat for more durability, especially when drilling non-ferrous metals.
When you buy the set, you get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Product Dimensions: 8.8 x 1.8 x 8.8 inches
- Product Weight: 1.05 pounds
- It is ideal for drilling different types of materials.
- It has a titanium coat that makes it suitable for metal drilling.
- It comes in a tough plastic case.
- It is a no-spin shank.
- Some users complained that they broke after a short time.
They have a high working efficiency, all thanks to their long drill core and square chisel that makes it easy to lock hole into the wood so that you can get different mortises easily.
The bits come in five different sizes to give you what you need. They are either 6.4mm, 8mm, 11mm,12.7mm, and 16mm. Every single drill has its packaging, a plastic case, making it easy to maintain.
The mortising chisel bits can help you drill square holes in wood if you use a mortising machine to a mortising attachment.
The set comes with a satisfaction warranty.
- Package Dimensions: 8.7 x 5.3 x 1.2 inches
- Product Weight: 2.02 pounds
- It is made of HSS, which is hard and durable.
- It is sharp.
- Every tool comes with individual packaging.
- It gives you a high working efficiency to do your work easily.
- It comes in five different sizes.
- It comes with a satisfaction warranty.
- Some users did not find them to be hardened.
- To some users, it felt cheap.
4. Norseman Drill Bits 44170 Ultra DE Type 240-UB 135 Degree Split Point Magnum Super Premium Jobber Drill Set
The tools meet the National Aerospace Standard (NAS) 907.
- Product Dimensions: 6.5 x 3.25 x 3.25 inches
- Product Weight: 2 pounds
- They are great both for metalworking and woodworking.
- They have been made with high-speed stainless steel, which is durable.
- They meet the aerospace industry standards.
- It will give you an accurate, clean cut.
- They chip easily when you are using them on metal.
It features a ¼ inch shank that is a quick change and can lock in both hex sleeves and quick release chucks. It can fit a variety of power drills as it can easily lock into the hex sleeves.
The drills are made from high-speed stainless steel, making it rugged for different settings, including high powered stationary drill presses. The edges are forged and sharpened to give you fast penetration.
It comes in a variety of sizes and with a sturdy case for storage and portability.
- Product Dimensions: 5.2 x 3.03 x 0.91 inches
- Product Weight: 41.9 pounds
- It has sharp edges for easy penetration.
- It comes with a sturdy case for storage and portability.
- It can work well with any universal drill.
- It is made of HSS, making it durable.
- It can easily lock in HEX sleeves.
- Some users complained that the tools became dull after a short time.
- They are not good for metal.
They are drill bits that have an HSS titanium coating to give it more durability. The cutting edge is both hardened and honed to provide it with sharpness. It has been designed to be chatter-free with staggered cutting teeth to give you precise countersinking with hole smooth clean.
The tip has a twist design to increase the cutting speed and to prevent walking.
They come with two flutes to help in clearing chips and debris from the bit to reduce friction and heat for a fast and cool drilling process.
Its hex shank can easily fit any power tool securely, making it useful if you need a quick-change.
It is a great drill bit set used in various materials such as metal, wood, or plastic countersink. That makes it suitable for different settings.
The drill bits come with a drill bit holder for easy storage and order.
- Package Dimensions: 8 x 6.3 x 0.6 inches
- Product Weight: 8.5 ounces
- It has an HSS coating that is durable.
- The cutting edge is hardened and honed for more sharpness.
- It has staggering cutting teeth for precise countersinking.
- The tip has a twist design for fast cutting speed.
- It can be used in a variety of materials.
- It comes with a holder for easy storage.
- Some users complained that they did not last long.
All the six drill sets are excellent picks. If you are trying to pick one, then this section is for you. We focus on the specifics to help you in decision making. Here is a quick guide:
Set with the highest number of tools: If you need a set with the highest number of tools to give you value for money, then the Tooluxe 10055L Titanium Coated Hex Shank Drill Bit Set will be the best match as it is a 30-piece set with the highest number of tools comparatively.
The most affordable drill set: When it comes to affordability, the cheapest set comparatively is the COMOWARE Titanium Twist Drill Bit Set that retails at only $10.99
Our overall recommendation: When we compare the six, our best advice is the COMOWARE Titanium Twist Drill Bit Set as it is affordable and can do the job correctly.
As much as we have already recommended the drill bit to go by, you also need to know how to choose the right set. Some of the factors to keep in mind when selecting a drill to include:
Type of Material to be Used
Most of the time, drill bits are classified according to the material they can use. That means you have to decide before the material you plan to use the drill on.
Wood drill bits: You can know them by looking at their tips. They usually have small but pointed tips at the end. They also have spurs on the sides that you can use to grab and carve wood.
Most of the wood drill bits are either made of steel or Titanium coated. The steel varieties are great for softwoods as they will become dull when used on hardwoods. On the other hand, Titanium coated types are the most durable.
Masonry drill bits: When you look at their tip, you will notice they are sloping. In some cases, the end has a carbide tip to prolong its sharpness. As the name suggests, it works well with stone and cinder, and some types of tiles. It is also durable.
Metal drill bit: Their ends have a wide-angle end, most of the time made of high-speed steel. Some of them may be coated with Titanium or cobalt. They are very versatile but also expensive.
Most of the drill bits will come with a chart so that you can know about the sizes and the ideal size for a particular job. The charts can vary depending on the shank of the screw, but it can still guide you. For example, for softwoods, a bit should be 1/64 inch smaller than your target hole.
When it comes to other material, the bit can be the same size as the hole you are working on.
It is not complicated to get the right drill; you need to refer to the prior pilot hole chart. In some cases, the drill bits come with a storage case organized according to sizes; hence choosing the right drill is easy.
Drill bits usually come in five standard sizes. The right length will depend on your needs.
Jobber length: It is the most common size that is used for general purposes.
Taper length: It is mainly used for pre-drilling pilot holes for shanks for wood
Extra-length bit: They are mainly for drilling through an airplane fuselage; that’s why they are also known as aircraft-length bits.
Mechanics length: They are made such that they have an overall shorter length incusing a shorter flute length. They are meant for harder drilling hence less prone breakage.
Screw machine length: They are the shortest with the lowest length-to-diameter ratio.