Like any other person working in a hazardous environment, any woodworker needs safety working gear. This safety gear might be gloves, goggles, respirators, among others. You want to wear these because you will be exposed to solid, powder, and liquid substances that may be harmful to your health.
Respirators play a big role in the health of a woodworker because some products may be smelly and some activities such as sanding may give out a lot of dust. For these reasons, you will need a good quality respirator. A respirator will enable you to keep your body healthy.
However, it may not be easy to decide what product best fits your needs. Therefore, we have researched and found suitable topmost six products. This guide will help you choose the best respirator for woodworking easily.
1. 3M Half Face Piece, Reusable Respirator, Large Mask – 6300/07026
Available in small, medium, and large sizes, the 3M Half Piece is a reusable facemask and has been made with comfortability in mind. It is made especially for employees, contractors, and laboratory staff who work day after day in areas where there are dangerous fumes.
To add on to that, it is NIOSH certified. This certification means it cannot be a nuisance to those with skin sensitivity, even when they wear the mask for long hours without removing it.
- Brand: 3M
- Model Number: 3M-6300/07026-LARGE
- Part Number: 6300
- Dimensions: 8 x 6 x 4 inches
- It is a safe product for those with breathing and lung issues.
- It comes at an affordable price and is a low maintenance product.
- It is quite comfortable due to its silicone lining pads.
- The respirator provides for versatility due to its reusability.
- It can be used by anyone in different fields such as laboratories, construction sites, etc.
- There is a funny smell that comes with it but disappears after some time.
- It is not fit for those with prominent face marks such as cheeks and noses.
- The product does not come with filters. You have to buy some for the mask.
2. North Low Maintenance Half Mask Respirator Small, filters sold separately
The North Low Maintenance Half Mask is made of non-allergic material, which makes it wearable by everyone. It is comfortable and fitted with a dead air space to improve breathing while breathing out. Dead air space means you cannot breathe in fumes, gases, or any vapor. The good thing is that they are compatible with most cartridges, filters, and other accessories.
- Manufacturer: Honeywell Safety
- Item Weight: 6.1 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 1 x 0.41 x 1 inches
- Size: Small
- Material: Thermoplastic Elastomer
- The product comes at a relatively affordable price
- It can be used for a longer time and is reusable at the same time.
- It has a convenient exhaling valve that ensures you cannot breathe in exhaled air.
- It can be used with other accessories such as cartridges and filters.
- It doesn’t come with filters hence incurs you some extra costs.
- It has a strong smell, but it goes away after some time.
3. MSA Large Advantage 200 LS Series Half Mask Air Purifying Respirator
This facepiece comes with a soft combination of plastic and rubber, assuring users of compatibility. In addition, it has reduced pressure points on the face seals that increase stability. It comes in three sizes and boasts of an exclusive filter program.
This NIOSH certified mask is best used in different jobs while ensuring you are not at risk from high concentrations of gasses, fumes, and other particulates. Additionally, it conforms with each person’s face due to the AnthroCurve fitted in it, as well as a multiflex that ensures equalizing of facial pressure.
- Brand Name: Msa Safety Sales, LLC
- Dimensions: 11 x 9 x 3.5 inches
- Colour: Blue
- Item Volume: 0.53 milliliters
- Item Weight: 1.60 ounces
- Model Number: 815452
- Size: Large
- Width: 21.42 inches
- Style: Single Neckstrap
- It is lightweight and does not feel heavy even after using it for a long time. Its lightness is due to the thermoplastic material used.
- This face mask is affordable.
- It comes fitted with an AnthroCurve that fits well to each user’s face.
- It ensures stability due to its reduced pressure points in the face seal.
- After tightening the straps, the excess has no facility to hold them. They remain hanging loosely.
- The face mask does not come with filters. You will have to cater for an additional cost.
- The manufacturer’s website may be a bit difficult to navigate.
4. Medium Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 7502/37082(AAD) Respiratory Protection (1 Pack)
This face mask is made of advanced silicone, which makes it long-lasting and quite comfortable. As compared to other masks that get heavier when used for longer, this product is a light-weight.
The respirator is adjustable to two modes. Drop down and standard. It was also built with a 3M Cool Flow exhalation valve. This valve ensures that there is no fogging from breath and moisture inside the mask.
The manufacturer has gone a step further to design masks of different sizes with different colors. This will help you easily identify the one you need.
- Manufacturer: ZhengWang
- Item Weight: 7.1 ounces
- Package Dimensions: 7.68 x 5.47 x 4.17 inches
- Warranty: No
- The face mask has a lightweight, making it easy to work with.
- Fogging from your exhaled breath and moisture is prevented by the 3M Cool Flow exhalation valve.
- The respirator is purchased at a good price and is of low maintenance, helping you save largely on cost.
- It is a multi-purpose face mask that can be used in various fields. It can even be used as a shield against the current Covid-19 virus. It even works better than the usual N-95 masks. It can as well be worn for longer hours.
- It is fitted with rubber on its sides to ensure the mask does not slide off.
- The product does not come with filters, making you incur additional costs.
- The product has been of short supply lately. But this only goes to show that it is a good product and is most preferred by customers.
5. 3M 6800 Lightweight Reusable Full Facepiece Respirator (Size M – 2 Pack)
As the name suggests, this face mask covers your entire face. You do not need to add goggles. And the sunglasses fit in pretty well. The product’s lens provides a clear view for good visibility. It has an adapter at the center, which ensures that moisture and exhaled breath are pushed downwards and outwards. This prevents fogging and makes cleaning effortless.
It is not heavy, is long-lasting, and pretty easy to use. It is fitted with a silicone face seal that ensures more comfort for you. However, it may be difficult to talk or keep a hairstyle with this product. But let’s agree, safety is more important.
- Brand Name: 3M Personal Protective Equipment
- Size: Medium
- Weight: 15 pounds
- Item Package Quantity: 2
- It covers your entire face, and your sunglasses can fit right in.
- The face mask also has a center adapter that lets out air and moisture to avoid fogging.
- It helps you save on costs since you do not need to buy goggles.
- The larger lens ensures that you have a larger field of view.
- The product is light and has a comfortable, well-balanced design.
- It can be used to shield yourself from tear gas as it is a full-face shield. It is also considered the best for painting.
- The surface of the respirator is smooth, which allows for effortless cleaning.
- You have to buy them as pairs.
- It may be a bit difficult to talk while using the face mask.
- The face mask is a bit pricy.
6. MSA Medium Comfo Classic Series Full Mask Air Purifying Respirator
The NIOSH certified MSA Medium Comfo Classic Series Full Mask Air Purifying Respirator is the most comfortable mask. It is has a soft feel material that makes the Hycar rubber and silicone more comfortable. It is also light, tight, and has a well-balancing design.
It not only efficient for home-based small tasks but is also convenient for industrial use.
- Brand Name: MSA
- Color: Black
- Dimensions: 7.30 x 6.10 x 3.80 inches
- Item Volume: 0.29 milliliters
- Item Weight: 10.4 ounces
- Material: Soft feel Silicone
- Size: Medium
- It is much more comfortable in contrast to other face masks.
- It is light, tight, and has a well-fitting and balancing design.
- It is available in small, medium, and large sizes.
- The product is certified by NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health)
- The respirator does not come with filters.
- It comes with a bit of an odor, but it goes away after some time.
All the products above are efficient in all your woodworking and other activities. Each has specifications to suit different needs. As respiratory health is crucial, we hope that we have eased the burden of research for you.
However, if you still are puzzled about what product to pick, below is a buyer’s guide to help you make the final decision.
The North Low Maintenance Half Mask Respirator Small, filters are sold separately and are made of good Thermoplastic Elastomer. This quality material makes it durable as compared to the others.
The Best Face Mask For Any Face
The MSA Large Advantage 200 LS Series Half Mask Air Purifying Respirator can comfortably fit into anyone’s face. The mask can fit well in women, men, and it comes in all shapes of faces.
Best Multi-Applicable Face Mask
The Medium Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 7502/37082(AAD) Respiratory Protection (1 Pack) is the best if you are looking for a multi-applicable mask. This mask can be used in laboratories, masonry, and welding, among other areas. It is also a convenient Covid-19 shield.
Best Respirator For People With Health Issues
The 3M Half Face Piece, Reusable Respirator, Large Mask – 6300/07026 is the best product woodworkers with lung issues and breathing difficulties.
Best Convenient Face Mask
The 3M 6800 Lightweight Reusable Full Facepiece Respirator (Size M – 2 Pack) is the most convenient of all the products listed above. The fact that it is a full face mask ensures total shield from any byproducts while working with wood. It also works better as a shield against Covid-19 compared to the rest, being a full face mask.
Best Comfortable Face Mask
If you are looking for the most comfortable face mask, the MSA Medium Comfo Classic Series Full Mask Air Purifying Respirator is the one for you. It is made of soft feel material that makes the Hycar rubber and silicone softer. Also, it is light, tight, and balances well to enhance comfortability.
With all the above tips, we now hope that making a final decision will not be a task. It will be easier to pick the Best Respirator for all your Woodworking needs. So, go forth and make your purchase. If you are still uncertain, take a look at our other reviews for better and satisfactory decision making.
These are the most unique face masks that are advantageous to your breathing needs. They render clean and safe air plus their ability to host other accessories such as cartridges and filters to enhance the overall breathing experience.
I recommend the MSA Large Advantage 200 LS Series Half Mask Air Purifying Respirator due to its ability to fit into any user’s face. Plus, the thermoplastic rubber is soft and comfortable even to those with sensitive skin. If you don’t find your preferred mask, kindly check our next buyers’ guide to respiratory masks.