Woodworking is an excellent hobby for people who have the creativity and time on their hands to pursue it. With dozens of benefits to its name, woodworking is an activity that more people are taking up. With companies shifting work to home and people not stepping out of the house as much, woodworking has become quite popular.
Any woodworker who knows his art will tell you that sanding is one of the most important aspects of a good project. Sanding a finished or ongoing project not only gives it a more polished and finished look, but also helps prevent injuries from stray pieces and sides that might get left after finishing the project.
Sanding is important in making everyday items look better and safer to use. For example, you can check out the benefit of sanding hardwood floors here.
Whether you’re sanding manually or with a machine’s help, you need a good set of sandpaper to get your work done. Sandpaper comes in a wide range of qualities, and it can be difficult to pick which one is the best sandpaper for wood for your needs. In this review, we talk about the six best options you can choose.
This set of sandpapers by Huayao comes in a 9 x 11-inch size and contains 36 total sheets. As this is practically paper, the large size ensures that you can use it in its original size, or cut it up according to your needs.
The grit of sandpaper is inversely proportional to the coarseness. Inverse proportionality means that the higher the grit, the finer the sandpaper will be. With this set of sandpapers, you get 18 different grits, starting from 60 and going all the way to 2,000. This way, you have the complete freedom to use the right roughness for your needs.
There are 18 different grits, and you get two sheets per grit. These sandpapers can be used for both wet and dry work for woodwork, automotive, and arts and crafts.
- Quantity – 36 sheets
- Size – 9 x 11 inches
- Grit – 60/80/100/120/150/180/200/240/280/320/400/500/600/800/1000/1200/1500/2000
- Item weight – 1.5 pounds
- Color – Black
- The sandpaper comes in a wide range of grits, from a very rough one at 60 to a very fine at 2,000, giving you a wide range of options to choose from for your preferences.
- The sheets’ size is quite large, so you can use them both in their entirety or by cutting them up into pieces according to your preferences.
- The material used is silicon carbide, which is also electro-coated, making it perfect for both wet and dry work.
- If you have a specific grit in mind, and a large project you are working on, this set of assorted sandpapers might not be the best fit for you.
- The sheets are quite large, and if you use a machine that needs small or accurate sizes, this might not be the right option for you.
FRIMOONY’s set of assorted sandpapers comes in a pack of 90 sheets. You get ten sheets each of nine different grits, starting from 240 to 3,000 for the finest experience. The grit is mentioned on each sheet’s back, making it easy for you to identify and use them.
Each sheet is 9 x 3.6 inches in size, making it a convenient size to use fully by hand. The sheets are also made of silicon carbide and electro-coated, making it a great option for both dry and wet sanding. These sheets can be used for automotive sanding, woodworking, and metal finishing as well.
- Quantity – 90 sheets
- Size – 9 x 3.6 inches
- Grit – 240/400/600/800/1000/1500/2000/2500/3000
- Item weight – 7.4 ounces
- Color – Greyish Black
- This set of sandpapers comes in a convenient, narrow size that makes it great to be directly used by hand or on a sanding block. Cut it into pieces for other uses.
- With ten sheets of nine different types of grit available, these sandpapers can be used for a wide range of purposes according to your needs.
- Made of Silicon Carbide and electro-coated, these sandpapers can be used on both wet and dry projects.
- The sandpaper is known to curl up when wet. So if you’re using it for wet sanding, you might need to change the paper often.
- If you’re looking for small sizes for a machine or drill attachment, these do not come with a sticky side, and you will have to do that manually.
The 100 sandpapers are divided into 20 pieces of five different grits, starting from 60 and going up to 240. With a hook and loop back, a material that works very similar to Velcro, this sandpaper can easily be attached to a machine without using any external adhesive.
The material used in these sandpapers is aluminum oxide. This sandpaper can be used for wood as well as the finishing of plaster and other surfaces.
- Quantity – 100 sheets
- Size – 3.5 inch, triangular
- Grit – 60/80/100/120/240
- Item weight – 0.55 ounces
- Color – Reddish Brown
- The design has a hook and loop feature on the back, making it an excellent choice for people who want to use machines for sanding.
- The sandpapers come in multiple grit options, making them good for different types of woodworking, automotive, and finishing applications.
- The holes in this sandpaper are great for efficient dust collection.
- The sandpapers are small in size, so if you do not own a machine or you want to do your sanding manually, these might not be the right fit for you.
- The grit on these sandpapers only goes up to 240, so it might not be the right option for people who are looking for an ultra-fine sanding experience.
M-jump’s disc sander round sanding paper is available in a pack of 100, with an 80 grit. If you work with a sanding machine and you know exactly the kind of sanding that you want to do, instead of resorting to an assortment of sandpaper of different grit, you can order this 80 grit sandpaper and get the job done.
The grain on this sandpaper is made of aluminum oxide, giving you a rough, durable, and fast cutting experience. The resin-bound system of the surface also gives you a smooth finish. The sandpaper discs come with holes for efficient dust collection and disposal.
- Quantity – 100 discs
- Size – 5 inches, circular
- Grit – 80
- Item weight – 2.22 pounds
- Color – Yellow
- The convenient round shape is perfect for people who use drills or orbital sanders for their woodworking needs.
- All sandpapers in the pack are 80 grits, making it a good option for people who do not want to experiment with their sanding and want a uniform sanding.
- The sandpapers come with eight pre-punched for the best dust extraction.
- If you’re looking for something that you can use manually without a machine or a sander, this might not be the best fit for you.
- Though these sandpapers are available in different grit sizes, you will have to purchase a different pack for those, as all 100 pieces of these will be of the same grit.
ABN’s Sandpaper strips come in a roll form different from the separate disks or sheets. This roll makes it very convenient for people who have different sanding needs depending upon their project, as they can easily choose how much length of the paper they will need.
The role’s width is one inch, and the paper is 600 grit, giving you a fine experience with sanding. This width can be ideal for woodwork polishing, as well as glass sculptures or moldings.
The length of the role is 20 feet long, so be assured that it will last you for a while. The surface is made out of aluminum oxide for a more durable experience.
- Quantity – 1 roll
- Size – 1 inch width, 20 feet length
- Grit – 600
- Item weight – 1.44 pounds
- Color – Reddish Brown
- For people who do not use machines and are looking to work on smaller scale and size projects, this is a great option due to its small size and freedom of use.
- With an aluminum oxide grit of 600, it is a perfect option for working on polishing wood and glass.
- This sandpaper will not be the best option for people who have orbital sanders with an option to attach sandpaper to it, because of its narrow and long design.
- For people looking for an assortment of different grit, this won’t be the best option because the entire roll is of a single, uniform grit (600.)
The Lanhu 1500 Grit Sandpaper comes in large sheets of size 9 x 11 inches, making it a great option for people who need a lot of sandpaper and bigger sheets for their projects. There are 25 total sheets in the pack, which are suitable for both wet and dry sanding.
The printed grit on the back makes for easy identification. The material is made out of waterproof silicon carbide and electro-coated to ensure efficiency in both wet and dry sanding.
- Quantity – 25 sheets
- Size – 9 x 11 inches
- Grit – 1500
- Item weight – 9.6 ounces
- Color – Black
- The sandpaper sheets come in large sizes of 9 x 11 inches, making it a great option for people working on large projects.
- The uniform 1500 grit for all sandpapers is an excellent option for people who know exactly what they’re looking for and are not relying on an assortment of sandpapers.
- Because of the material used, it is an excellent option for both wet and dry sanding.
- If you do not know what grit you will need for your job, or you have the requirement of multiple grit options, this might not be the best choice for you.
- If your size requirements are more suited to drills and electric sanders, buying large sheets might be less feasible than going with papers specifically made for those machines.
Now that you have a comprehensive idea of these sandpapers’ qualities, let’s talk about which would be the best sandpaper for wood according to your needs.
- For electric sanders and drills – If your work involves working with machines and you need convenient sanders for those, we suggest that you go with the M-jump Sandpaper Discs or the XXGO Triangular Sandpaper.
- For large papers – If your work involves large projects and you need bigger sheets for them for constant use, the Lanhu Sandpaper or the Huayao Assorted Sandpapers.
- For small-sized projects – If your work involves manually working on small-sized projects, you need smaller sizes of sheets. For this purpose, our suggestion would be to go for the ABN Wood Sandpaper Roll or the FRIMOONY Wet Dry Sandpaper.
We understand that choosing a product like sandpaper can be difficult because of the sheer number of options available. We hope that this review has given you a great idea of how to approach buying the best sandpaper for wood according to your personal needs. If you’re interested, please feel free to check out our other reviews as well. Happy woodworking!