A thickness planer allows you to modify a wooden board or plank according to your requirement. It works great on both new and old timber and makes sure you get a smooth outcome.
These are usually large and cannot be moved from one place to another; therefore, investing in a compact bench planner is ideal. There are plenty of wood planer brands in the market that claim to be the best, making it hard for a person to decide which one to buy.
Therefore, we have come with a list of best thickness planers for you to choose from. Each one of these come with a set of pros and cons, so you can decide which amongst them will suit your need the most. Let’s begin!
Best Thickness Planer You Must Buy
This article includes the best thickness planer you must buy to make your DIYs smooth. These planers give a smooth and professional finish and are also super easy to use. Apart from that, you will also find an informative buying guide at the end.
1. DEWALT 13-Inch Thickness Planer (DW735X)
The 13-inch Dewalt Thickness Planer features a cutter head that comes loaded with three double-edged knives. It is a little heavier than the rest of the options; however, it works with equal strength and precision.
The planer features a gearbox that allows operators to change the feed speed and optimize cuts per inch at 96 or 179. The cutter head can make 10,000 revolutions per minute. It also has a three-year warranty, which makes it a perfect choice for work.
The automatic carriage lock reduces the movement and snipes while working. Moreover, it also ensures maximum stability and safety. Its unique dust hose adapter helps clean up efficiently; therefore, no debris or dust is lying around.
- Weight – 101 pounds
- Size – 24 x 22 x 18 inches
- Materials – Plastic, Aluminum
- Color – Black and Yellow
- Included Components – Dust hose adapter; Dust-ejection chute, Extra knives
- It features three-blades for a precise finish.
- The reversible knives make cutting boards and planks easy.
- It doesn’t make any mess while working with the help of a dust hose adapter.
- The gearbox allows you to make changes in the speed.
- It is large and bulky.
- This wood planer is expensive.
2. Mophorn Heavy Duty Thickness Planer
This heavy-duty thickness planer by Mophorn consists of a set of double cutter blades with a speed of 9000 revolutions per minute. Use it to smooth old wooden planks and gives an extraordinary finish to the surface.
The planer can be operated conveniently. You can easily adjust the height of the cutter head according to your requirements. With an automatic feed design, there is no need for you to push the material inside.
It comes with a heavy-duty stand that makes work very smooth and prevents the machine from wobbling and moving. Apart from that, it is portable and can be moved around at your convenience.
- Weight – 87.1 pounds
- Size – 24.8 x 18.9 x 14.57 inches
- Materials – Aluminum, Steel
- Color – Black
- Included Components – Stand; Iron dust covers; Footpads; Carbon brushes
- This premium quality thickness planer comes with an all-metal workbench.
- It has a dust exhaust interface for easy cleanup.
- It also comes with an excellent safety feature that trips during overload.
- You can easily adjust its height as required.
- The automatic feed design takes in the material with ease.
- It doesn’t come with easy assembly instructions.
- Initially, the height adjustment may feel wobbly.
- The spindle does have a consistent connection.
3. PORTER-CABLE Thickness Planer
If you are searching for a powerful wood planer at a reasonable price, the Porter-Cable Thickness Planer is the ultimate choice. This refined version of the Delta planer has a powerful 15-ampere motor that gives superior results.
With a cutter head that provides around 16,000 cuts per minute, this planer makes work smooth and efficient. In addition to this, its double-sided blades have indexing notches that makes replacing the blades an easy job. These double-sided blades can even plane glued-up material.
The crank on the top of the planer makes height adjustment an easy task. It works quietly and doesn’t produce much noise; therefore, you can easily use it in your backyard.
For superior stability, this machine comes with cutter elevation technology. It comprises four ground columns which help in leveling it for a perfect job.
- Weight – 64.8 pounds
- Size – 23 x 15 x 17.7 inches
- Materials – Metal, Plastic
- Color – Black and Gray
- Included Components – Two knives, Solid steel cutter
- It doesn’t make disturbing noise and works smoothly.
- There is a Sprocket Feed Roller Drive that makes inserting a plank easy.
- This planer works great on old as well as new boards.
- It has reversible knives for a longer cutting life.
- You can carry it around with ease.
- It is affordable.
- It works on a single speed.
- The planer produces snipes at both ends of the board.
- The plastic parts are not durable.
4. Grizzly Industrial Benchtop Planer
A wood planer that is tough and comes at an amazing price is a must-have. The Grizzly Industrial Benchtop Planer is highly durable and finishes cutting faster than any other product. It features a metallic body and a 2 HP motor with a feed rate of 32 per minute.
It can easily be carried around as it is lightweight. However, it doesn’t compromise on strength and sturdiness. The top-mounted return rollers and extra-large table extensions add more to its functionality and make it a superior choice.
The on-off switch comes with a safety lock and ensures maximum security whether the planer is on or off. The double-sided HSS blades in the cutter head provide a smooth finish and perfect cuts.
This planer also features thermal overload protection, which ensures that it doesn’t overheat while functioning. The thickness dial is also accurate and leaves no room for miscalculations.
- Weight – 73 pounds
- Size – 24 x 14 x 18 inches
- Material – Metal
- Color – Turquoise
- Included Components – ⅛ inch-thick knives
- The planer has two handles, one on either side, which makes it portable.
- It can be assembled easily.
- This planer comes with a strong build.
- The thermal overload protection doesn’t let it overheat.
- Its blades are very sharp and precise.
- It produces a loud noise.
- The dust hood is loose.
- The pieces are loosely fitted.
5. Makita Wood Planer with Interna-Lok Automated Head Clamp
For those who have just stepped into woodworking, Makita Wood Planer is an excellent choice. It comes power-packed with some superior features which are missing in most wood planers. Apart from being very compact and lightweight, it is engineered for a fast and efficient blade change.
This planer features a large table extension to support heavy-duty work and make it effortless and easy. Along with that, it produces very low noise to ensure maximum comfort to the operator. It has an LED light that indicates if it is plugged in or not.
With a powerful motor that rotates 8,500 times per minute, you will surely be surprised to see it work like a beast. The Makita Wood Planer comes with a detachable tool-box and dust collection system. It also has an internal-lock automated head clamp.
- Weight – 61.8 pounds
- Size – 30.35 x 19.02 x 15.79 inches
- Material – Metal
- Color – Teal
- Included Components – Toolbox; Plane blade set; Two magnetic holders
- The wood planer features an LED light.
- It is lightweight and compact.
- It comes with a low-noise feature.
- The design and features make it suitable for beginners.
- The diagonal cross supports stability while working on it.
- It has adjustable depth stops.
- It is a bit expensive.
- You will have to buy the dust collection hood separately.
6. DEWALT Two Speed Thickness Planer (DW735)
Dewalt Thickness Planer comes in a bright yellow color that looks perfect. It consists of three knives and two speeds, making it one of the best investments for your workstation. Not only that, but this lightweight and powerful machine also ensures an effortless outcome.
Even though Dewalt Thickness Planer doesn’t have an infeed and outfeed table, it still stands out of the crowd and shows exceptional strength while in use. Its two-speed gearbox allows the users to change the speed and optimize the 96 cuts per inch or 179 cuts per inch.
This planer has a dust hose adapter, a dust ejector, and a fan-assisted chip ejection vacuum that chips off the debris and blows it out of the machine. It has an aluminum base and an automatic carriage lock that reduces the movement without much effort.
In addition to that, Dewalt Thickness Planer also has a material removal gauge and extra-large thickness scale.
- Weight – 90 pounds
- Size – 24 x 22 x 19 inches
- Material – Aluminum
- Color – Yellow
- Included Components – Power benchtop drill presses; Drill presses
- The Dewalt Thickness Planer comes with a plastic body and an aluminum base.
- It comes with a material removal gauge that cleans it easily.
- There is a dust hose adapter for chip ejection.
- The availability of three blades makes each cut very precise.
- It has a powerful motor.
- There are no infeed and outfeed tables.
- It is noisy and loud.
A wood planer can be a great addition to your equipment. However, you need to make sure to invest in a product that is reliable and better than the other options. Therefore, in this section, we shall talk about the buying considerations of the best thickness planer.
Debris Collection – You would want to make sure that you do not leave your workstation all messy and full of dust and debris. Therefore, it becomes super essential to invest in a wood planer that collects debris efficiently.
While looking for a wood planer, choose the one with a dust ejection port connected to the planer. It will help you save time that otherwise gets wasted in cleaning your backyard or garage.
Price – There are different types of thickness planers available in the market with a different price tag. While there is no surety that an expensive planer will meet all your needs, a low-cost planer might do the job just as you want.
Therefore, do not opt for expensive planers that break your budget. Instead, look for the one that meets your requirements and is durable.
Part Replacement – When you buy a wood planer, it may not come with additional parts. Not only that, but it can be very difficult to find the parts later if they stop working. Look for a wood planer with parts that can be found easily in the market or online.
Design – The way a thickness wood planer is designed matters a lot. While working on it, you need to make sure that, doesn’t shake or vibrate. This can be extremely dangerous since even one small move may lead to injury.
Choose a planer that is sturdy and can withstand shaking while it is in use. Most of these planers come with a heavy iron base. Therefore, research well before investing in a planer.
A thickness planer is essential for DIY projects. It is compact and portable equipment that you can use to tackle any wood planing defects. This guide contains all the essential information required to find the best thickness planer for your home. Happy shopping!