Carving is an art many people have learned to enjoy. Whether you are doing it as a hobby or as a profession, you will love creating a beautiful design on your woodwork. But to get a perfect job done, and to create your desired design, your knife is an essential tool.
The best wood carving knives can be used for many things. You can also use your knife for detailing and you can use it for letter carving and chip carving. Therefore, a good wood carving knife can serve many functions and it is a versatile tool in the hand of a woodcarver. But you must get the right one.
Today, there are many wood carving knives in the market. They all come with different features and specifications. And you may not be sure which knife is the best for you. Below are some factors you must consider when selecting the best wood carving knives.
If you have just started carving, or you need a carving knife for your 8-year-old child, this is an ideal knife for you. Morakniv Wood Carving Junior Knife is specifically designed for beginners. With finger protection, it is a tool that both adults and children can use successfully.
Morakniv Wood Carving Knife has a handle made of oiled Birchwood while the material for the blade is carbon steel. It comes inside a black plastic sheath to ensure proper safety.
- A product from Morakniv.
- It is a knife that children and beginners can use effectively.
- The material of the blade is carbon steel.
- The handle is made of oiled birchwood.
- It has a finger protection guard.
- It comes in a plastic sheath.
- Dimension: 6.75 X 0.5 X 1 inches
- Blade length: 3 inches
- Weight: 3.52 Ounces
- Children can use it effectively.
- It has finger protection.
- It is cheap as compared to the other brands
- The knife is very lightweight so it is good for craving
- The knife is easy to use than many other pocket, EDC, or hunting knives
- The blade is made of carbon steel that is prone to rusting easily.
- It is still too sharp for kids
- This knife needs rigorous repair and maintenance this makes user frustrated sometimes
Not all knives are good for precision carving, but the Moraknive Wood Carving 106 knife is. This small knife will not only give you a precision job but it will also not cost you a fortune. Like most Moranik knives, the handle of this wood carving knife is made of oiled birch wood. While laminated steel is the material for the blade, the product comes in a black plastic sheath to protect it from rusting and from causing an accident.
- It is a product from Morakniv.
- It is good for precision work.
- The blade is made of laminated steel
- The handle is made of oiled birch wood.
- Blade Length: 3.2 inches
- Blade Thickness: 0.11 inch
- Weight: 2.7 Ounce
- Dimension: 7.4 X 1.4 X 1.1 inches
- Blade Shape: U-Shaped
- It can give good precision
- This is another lightweight U shaped knife for carving
- The shape makes it easy to make creative new designs
- It is made with laminated steel
- The knife is not too expensive
- The blade is not flexible
- We think it needs a lot polishing to keep corrosion away
This is a set of four carving knives packed in a leather pocket roll for safety, preservation, and easy transportation. Both beginners and professionals can use it without any problem. The blades are short and the handles are ergonomic. It is therefore convenient to use these tools for a long time. The knives come sharpened and are ready to use.
The set consists of a detail knife, a cutting knife, a pelican knife, and a mini pelican knife. The handles are made of hardwood while the blades are made of high carbon steel.
- The product is from Flexcut
- The product consists of a set of four knives
- It comes in a pocket tool roll
- The blade is made from high carbon steel
- The handle is made from ash hardwood
- Beginners can use it perfectly
- Blade length: 0.75 – 1.75 inches
- Weight: 7 Ounces
- Product dimension: 5 X 5 X 5
- Blade Style: Chip Style
- Handle Material: Wood
- Knife Material: High carbon
- It contains four different essential carving and whittling knives.
- Knife blades are short. You can, therefore, use the knives conveniently for a long time.
- It comes in a pocket tool roll.
- Handle shape makes it easy to use and prevents fatigue.
- It comes ready to use and does not require sharpening.
- It does not come with a warranty
- The handle feel of this wood carving knife is a bit rough
These folding whittling knives from the popular Old Timer brand can be used for carving. The six inches long knife has a saw cut handle and a 1.5-inch long blade which is 65 Mn high carbon steel. The design ensures that this product can conveniently do all your carving and whittling jobs.
Moreover, this is a product from a company that many users thrust – the Old Timer. This manufacturer has a reputation for producing durable products.
- The knife is an Old Timer.
- It has a saw cut handle.
- The blade is made of 65 Mn high carbon steel.
- You can use it for both carving and whittling jobs.
- It comes with a limited warranty.
- Blade length: 1.5 inches
- Total length: 6 inches
- Weight: 3.9 Ounces
- Knife Material: Carbon
- Blade Shape: Different shapes of three blades at one side
- It has a saw cut handle.
- You can use it for both carving and whittling work.
- It is a folding knife
- It is durable and you don’t need to repair or sharp frequently
- It is cheap as compared to other competitor’s blades
- The knife does not lock when it is in use.
- It is not good for children
- The three sets of knives at each side makes it hard to do proper carving
This is more than a set of carving knives, but a complete toolbox for woodworkers. Xacto X5175 Delux Woodcarving Set contains everything you need for your carving and whittling work. In total, the beautiful box which contains the 16 essential items you need. The contents are:
- Knife handles
- Heavy chiseling blade
- Angled chiseling blade
- Whittling blade
- Curved carving blade
- Five gouges
- Four routers
The blades are made of stainless steel.
- This is a product from Elmer.
- It contains knife handles, assorted blades, routers, and gouges.
- The blades material is stainless steel.
- It comes in a wooden box.
- Product dimension: 6.5 X 3 X 1 inches.
- Weight: 8 Ounces
- Material: Stainless steel
- The product contains all the essential tools for carving and whittling.
- It comes in a beautiful wooden box
- The shape is sturdy
- The blades are made of stainless steel
- The blades supposed to have labels, but they don’t.
- There are some complaints bout the tray that it does not holds all the knives well.
This is a combination of a detail knife and a roughing knife in a single handle. You can use this whittling knife for both whittling and carving. The blades of Flexcut Whittling Jack knives are made of hard carbon steel and the hand is made of aluminum material with an inlay of wood. The handle is ergonomically designed, therefore you can use it for a long time without causing any fatigue.
The blades come sharpened and so do not need any further sharpening before you start using them.
- This is a product from Flexcut.
- It contains a detail knife and a roughing knife combined in a handle.
- The blades are made of high carbon steel.
- The handle consists of silver aluminum with an inlay of wood.
- Detail knife blade length: 1 – 1/2 inches
- Roughing knife length: 2 inches
- Product length: 4 – 1/4 inches
- Weight: 3 Ounces
- Dimension: 5.9 X 8 X 0.95 inches
- It contains both a detail knife and a roughing knife.
- You can use it for both carving and whittling.
- The blade and handle quality is good .
- It comes ready to use and does not require sharpening.
- The blades don’t lock while in use.
- It is not best to use for the beginners .
- There is no lack of locking mechanism on the blade.
Factors to Consider Before Choosing a Wood Carving Knife
There are many important factors every wood craver must consider before selecting their knife. Some of these factors include:
- Length of Your Knife: Length of knife is important for the purpose you are using it for. So, it is very important to consider the length before buying a knife.
- The Nature of its Blade: The material used in the blade is also a good factor to determine the knife quality. Most of the time these are steel blades. But sometimes it comes in different materials and shapes.
- The Durability of The Knife: These knives are for the wood craving so you need to check the durability of these as well. You don’t want to end up with a knife which is not durable for wood.
- Nature of Job You Want to Use It for: The type of carving you are doing will determine the type of knife. If you are going to small designs with very deep cuts then perhaps a sharp and thin knife would be suitable and for thick designs other knives would help.
- The Cost of The Knife: Price is another important factor that you need to consider before buying the best wood carving knives.There are different prices available in the market. Go with the one that is most suitable for your needs and features that you are looking for.
Using these factors, we have selected some wood carving knives that you will find awesome.
Best Wood Carving Knives for Kids
If you want to teach your 7-year-old kid how to carve designs on wood, then go for Morakniv Wood Carving Junior 73/164 Knife with carbon steel blade. The beginner’s wood carving knife is specially designed for kids. It comes with a finger protector and many features that your kid will enjoy. Adults can, as well, use the knife.
Best for Precision Job
You don’t have to be professional before you deliver a good job. When you are thinking of precision, your tool matters. If you are looking for a wood carving knife that will give you a perfect job and will not cost you a fortune, then go for Morakniv Wood Carving 106 knife with laminated steel blade 3.2 Inch, M – 106. Both the beginners and professionals can use this craving knife that comes with a laminated steel blade.
Best for All Round Work
Xacto X5175 Delux Wood Carving Set has every blade you may need for your carving and whittling work. It contains 5 knife handles, 6 assorted blades, 4 routers, and 5 gouges. With all these, you can use it for all kinds of jobs and it comes at an affordable price. The material of the blade is stainless steel. Certainly, you can’t ask for more.
Best Wood Carving Knife for a Low Budget
Your budget is an important factor that will determine the kind of tool you will purchase. But you can get a good carving knife even at a low budget.
Old Timer 24 OT Splinter Carvin 6 inches Traditional Folding Whittling Knife
Will give you good value at a very low budget. The product is also from Old Timer, a popular manufacturer that users trust for quality.
Lovers of wood carving know the importance of carving knives. There are many knives available in the market but not all of them are worth recommending. You must look for a knife or set of knives that will make your job easier and make your passion enjoyable.
Carving may take a lot of time, therefore, the best wood carving knives are those that are easy to handle and don’t cause fatigue. The blades of the best carving knives come razor sharp and are ready for use. They are also versatile.
Your level of professionalism is also important, if you are a beginner go for knives that are easy to use. You must also choose a knife that fits the particular nature of your job. We hope with this review you will be able to make a good choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use A Whittling Knife for Carving?
Carving and whittling are different things. Some knives are specifically designed for carving while there are knives that you can use for whittling. Yet there are knives that you can use for both purposes. Notwithstanding, if your whittling knife carves perfectly, and gives you a satisfactory job, then go ahead. The ultimate thing is to get the job properly done.
Do Wood Carving Knives Rust Easily?
It depends on the material used for making the blade of the wood carving knife. Stainless steel materials do not rust readily. But if the material is high carbon steel, you may need to be protecting it regularly from rusting. Regular cleaning and proper storage are among the ways to protect your knife.
How Safe Are Folding Knives That Do Not Lock While in Use?
They are perfectly safe as long as you are cautious of their nature. Most knives will remain rigid while in use and will therefore pose no danger to you. But it is always good to take all the necessary precautions