A woodworking workshop can get dusty, and the dust is not suitable for our health. Apart from wearing a mask and taking all precautionary measures, one of the best investments you can make for your workshop is a vacuum.
There are many vacuums in the market, and it may get confusing knowing which one to choose.
Best Woodworking Vacuums
In this product guide, we cover the six best woodworking vacuums. They have the right storage capacity and horsepower that will leave your workshop spotless with ease.
This is a powerful vacuum with a 4 HP motor and effective suction that makes it multifunctional. With that level of horsepower, it can suck up all kinds of dirt and debris into the tank. It can not only be used in woodworking but also in a variety of settings.
As suggested by the name, it has a large capacity of 6 gallons so that you can use it for a long time without having to empty it.
It is easy to use since you only have to close it, connect and plug into power, and you are good to go. Its drain port is extra-large for quick draining.
It is lightweight but at the same time portable. It weighs 13.8 pounds. The handle is properly placed to make it comfortable to carry.
It comes with a decently long hose pipe of 6 feet, hence you can vacuum further without having to keep unplugging and plugging the unit. The vacuum has a long-life cycle as it can continuously work for 300 hours nonstop.
When you buy the vacuum, you get a 12 month warranty.
- Product Dimensions: 13.8 x 13.8 x 20.47 inches
- Product Weight: 13.4 pounds
- Capacity: 6 gallons
- Airflow capacity: 75 cubic feet per minute
- It is easy to use
- High horsepower makes it powerful for different applications
- It is lightweight and portable
- Large capacity of 6 gallons
- Extra-large draining port for easy draining
- Has a long hose pipe of 6ft
- It will last a long time
- Some users complained that it does not suck up liquids very well
- It is noisy
- 6 foot cable may not be ideal for all workshops
This is a great dust collector with a 1HP motor. It has been designed with portability in mind, and hence it is easy to move from one area to another. It is compact and will comfortably fit any place without taking up a lot of space.
It has an air suction capacity of 800 cubic feet per meter. It has a decent bag capacity of 2.1 cubic feet that comes with a quick disconnect bag clamp.
With a 2.5-micron filtration unit, it filters out most microbes from the air. It is built with a safety switch and a removable lockout key to prevent any unauthorized use.
It is durable and comes with a 2 year warranty.
- Product Dimensions: 16.5 x 28.1 x 19.6 inches
- Product Weight: 55 pounds
- Air suction capacity: 800CFM
- Compact and portable
- Has a high suction capacity of 800CF/M
- Easy to use
- Great bag capacity and easy disconnect bag clamp
- Safety switch and lockout key prevent unauthorized use
- Comes with a 2 year warranty
- Some users found it to be badly designed and cumbersome to use
- Getting the bag on and off is not as easy
This is a dual-action vacuum that can effectively do any job in no time at all.
It has a built-in HEPA rated filter that is efficient and can trap up to 99.97 percent efficiency at 1 micron. The filter is both washable and reusable. The motor has 1.85 HP.
The vacuum has a tank capacity of 2 gallons and an airflow suction capacity of 31 CFM.
It comes with a 5 foot hose that is both heavy-duty and crush resistant.
It comes with onboard storage that makes it easy to transport. The battery can last long and will have optimal performance when charged at temperatures between 65F and 75F.
When you buy the unit, you have to buy the battery and charger separately. When you buy the vacuum, you get a warranty of 3 years.
- Product Dimensions: 17.25 x 12.31 x 13.13 inches
- Product Weight: 10.78 pounds
- Airflow suction capacity: 31CFM
- Good for both wet and dry spills
- Can be used both with or without a cord
- It has a built-in HEPA rated filter that is efficient and can trap up to 99.97 percent efficiency at 1 micron
- Washable and reusable filter
- Easy to use
- Comes with a 3 year warranty
- Some users complained of poor suction
- It does not work optimally with a battery
It comes with a built-in blower port on the rear that can suction any dirt fast.
It has a big drain for quickly emptying the tank. Its hose pile is a decent length of 7 feet.
The vacuum has been made with a dual-flex technology to give you 180-degree mobility at each end to provide strong resistance to kinking and crushing.
It comes with onboard storage for hose and accessory storage to reduce any hassle and reduce storage space.
The unit features a Qwik Lock Filter Fastening System for any quick filter changes.
- Product Dimensions: 21.31 x 21.31 x 23.81 inches
- Product Weight: 26 pounds
- Strong suction power of 6.5 HP
- High capacity of 16 gallon
- Comes with a built-in blower port on the rear that can suction any dirt fast
- Oversized drain for quick draining
- Qwik Lock Filter Fastening System for any quick filter changes
- Spare parts are hard to find
- Power switch has an odd design
The dust bag is transparent to prevent premature bag change-outs, and the snap ring makes it easy for inserting and removing.
The vacuum is an excellent choice for woodworking as it features vortex cone technology, which ensures chip separation so that the filter does not clog. The technology improves the efficiency and performance of the machine.
It has a high collection capacity of 5.3 cubic feet to give you the right size and power.
The product comes with a 5 year warranty.
- Product Dimensions: 37 x 22.5 x 79 inches
- Product Weight: 139 pounds
- It has a transparent dust bag to help you keep track of its contents
- 30-micron filter kit
- Uses vortex cone technology for chip separation so that the filter does not clog
- High collection capacity
- Comes with a 5 year warranty
- Only works as a dry vacuum
It is easy to use with an off/on switch. It has a big, sturdy handle that makes it easy to carry.
Apart from being water-resistant, it also has a broad stainless-steel base to prevent tipping. The bottom has swiveling casters so that it can easily move in any direction.
It has a quick-lock hose for safety and a 10-foot power cord for convenience.
The vacuum comes with a 3 year limited warranty.
- Product Dimensions: 12.7 x 12.5 x 15.8 inches
- Product Weight: 11.58 pounds
- Easy to use and move with swivel casters and a big, sturdy handle
- Wide stainless-steel base to prevent tipping
- Quick-lock hose for safety
- Long hose is convenient
- There is a 6 gallon option from the same company that is only marginally more expensive
All the vacuums above are great choices if you need a woodworking vacuum. If you are on the fence and trying to settle on one, this part is for you as we focus on factors that set them apart. Here is a quick guide;
Vacuum with the most significant capacity: When a vacuum has a big tank capacity, it means that it can serve you for longer without needing to be emptied. When we compare the six, the one with the biggest capacity is the Jet DC-1100VX-BK Dust Collector, with a capacity of 5.3 cubic feet or 39 gallons.
Vacuum with the most powerful motor: The motor with the highest horsepower comparatively is the CRAFTSMAN CMXEVBE17595 Vacuum that has a 6.5HP.
Vacuum with HEPA filters: HEPA filters are well-known for their accuracy in filtering and, in this case, the DEWALT 18/20V Max Vacuum, Wet/Dry (DCV581H) has HEPA rated filters that efficiently remove dangerous particles.
Vacuum made with safety in mind: Even though all the vacuums are safe to use, the SHOP FOX W1727 1 HP Dust Collector has been specifically created with safety in mind. It has been made with a built-in safety switch and a removable lockout key to prevent any unauthorized use.
The most affordable vacuum: In terms of the buying price, the least expensive vacuum is the Porter-Cable PCX18301-4B 4-gallon 4Hp Wet/Dry Vacuum that retails at only $49.99.
Our overall recommendation: Any of the six will make an excellent choice for your woodworking space. Our favorite is the CRAFTSMAN CMXEVBE17595 Vacuum, as it is the most powerful. If the price is a primary consideration, we advise you to go for the Porter-Cable PCX18301-4B 4-gallon 4Hp Wet/Dry Vacuum, which is the cheapest comparatively.
Cleaning and Maintaining Your Woodworking Vacuum
Although you may have landed the best possible vacuum, it must be maintained to serve you perfectly. Some of the things you should keep in mind when cleaning and maintaining your vacuum include:
Canister: The canister has to be cleaned from time to time. To remove it, ensure that the vacuum cleaner is unplugged first. The canister can then be cleaned in warm soapy water and left to dry before putting it back.
Filters: Most filters can be re-used and cleaned before having to be replaced. Most manufacturers give instructions on how the filters can be cleaned and if they are washable or not. For the washable filters, they mostly do not need any soap or detergent. Just warm water will do, and you have to let it dry before you can put it back.
Base Plate: The vacuum has to be unplugged so that the base plate can be removed to access the beater bar. When cleaning it, be careful with the bristles not to damage them. A grout brush can be used to remove the debris from the beater bar.
The rest of the vacuum can be wiped clean with a microfiber cloth and warm water to remove any dirt or dust.
In some cases, you may have to do more maintenance and repairs when needed. The best part is that when you buy a unit, it comes with maintenance instructions.
We hope this guide helps you discover the best woodworking vacuum for your workshop. For other wood-related tips, check out our other articles too!