Battery-powered impact drivers are much more convenient than corded drivers. Hence, they offer use and mobility even when you are far from an electrical outlet or charging port.
Impact drivers are also great as they are often equipped with high torque motors, which is useful for many projects.
In this product guide, we will compare the six best battery powered impact drivers that you can find on the market. They have the right specifications and features to give you value for your money. Here is a look at what we have!
1. Makita XDT11Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver, Tool Only
This is a tool with a variable speed of 0-2900 RPM and 0-3500RPM that is rated for 1,460 inches per pound in terms of torque, which is excellent for a wide range of applications.
It is equipped with a 4-pole motor with four innovative brush designs that ensure that the RPM can be increased without reducing the torque.
The tool is housed in a metal casing that ensures durability. They have been made with a protective technology that will provide you with increased dust and water resistance.
It is compact with an ergonomic design to give you comfort and convenience using it. It is very lightweight as it only weighs 2.8 pounds, which helps to reduce fatigue when using it.
It also features a one-touch quarter-inch hex to help you perform quick bit changes. It is armored with a built-in LED light to illuminate your work when the need arises.
- Product Dimensions: 3.62 x 6.18 x 8.82 inches
- Product Weight: 2.5 pounds
- High variable speed that can do a wide range of applications
- It has a 4-pole motor that has four innovative brush designs which ensure that the RPM can be increased without reducing the torque
- Carbon steel body makes it durable
- Compact and ergonomic for comfort
- Quick bit change function
- Some users complained that the motor did not last as long as it should have for the money
2. Campbell Hausfeld 1/2″ Impact Wrench, Air Impact Driver (TL140200AV), 550 FT/LBS Torque
It can be paired with the right Campbell Hausfeld air compressor to give you 550FT/LBS of torque that can do a variety of tasks.
It is powered with a 3 speed power regulator to give you the right speed for tensioning the lug nuts when there is a need. The drill has a maximum power of 1200 impacts per minute and 8000 rpm.
The tool is made in a sturdy composite design that gives it durability. It is also lightweight with an ergonomic design to provide you with comfort as it reduces vibration and fatigue. It is made with a twin hammer mechanism for additional comfort.
When you buy it, you get a 1 year limited warranty.
- Product Dimensions: 9.85 x 3 x 9.06 inches
- Product Weight: 8 ounces
- 3 power regulator to help you achieve precision
- Sturdy composite design for durability
- Lightweight and ergonomic design for comfort
- Has been designed with twin hammer mechanism to reduce vibration
- Comes with a 1 year limited warranty
- Some users found the torque to be less than what was advertised
3. Bosch PS41-2A 12V Max 1/4-Inch Hex Impact Driver Kit
When you compare this option with other drivers, it has the shortest head-length at only 5.4 inches. Hence, it is the right choice for tight corners and small spaces. The kit contains two batteries, two screwdriver bits, a charger, and a case.
It is lightweight as it only weighs 2.1 pounds and it is comfortable to use for prolonged periods.
Even though it is small in size, it has a maximum torque of 930 pounds per inch. It can produce a no-load RPM of 0-3,100 and a max of 2,600 RPM.
The driver is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge that helps track the battery levels.
The driver comes with a 1 year limited warranty.
- Product Weight: 2.13 pounds
- Small with a short head-length for easy use in tight spaces
- Ergonomic for comfort
- Built-in fuel gauge to track the battery levels
- High torque
- It is durable
- Less optimal outside of tight spaces (niche product)
4. DEWALT 20V MAX Impact Driver Kit, 1/4-Inch (DCF885C1)
To ensure that the tool has increased visibility, it comes with a built-in LED that offers a 20-second delay when you do a trigger release.
It is lightweight with an ergonomic design and compact, such that it is 5.55 inches from the front to back. It weighs only 2.8 pounds, which makes it perfect for long jobs.
It is convenient to use and offers one-handed bit loading. It has a quarter-inch hex chuck that can accept 1-inch bit tips. It has high variable speed with a no-load speed of 2800 RPM.
When you buy this tool, you get a 3 year limited warranty.
The package comes with an impact driver, battery, and fast charger.
- Product Dimensions: 5.55 x 9 x 3 inches
- Product Weight: 2.8 pounds
- Built-in LED light for more visibility
- Lightweight with an ergonomic design
- Compact and suitable for use in small spaces
- No-load speed of 2800 RPM
- Comes with a 3 year limited warranty
- It breaks easily
- The battery may not last long
5. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Impact Driver Kit (BDCI20C)
The Black + Decker has a high-performance driver that can deliver 1375 in-lbs of max torque. A quick-release quarter inch hex chuck that makes changing bits easy.
Plus, it is compact and also lightweight so this driver is also easy to use. The motor enables two speed options: 0-3000 RPM and 0-3900 BPM.
When you buy the driver, you get a 2 year limited manufacturer warranty. The package comes with one battery, the driver itself, a screwdriving bit, and a charger.
- Product Dimensions: 7.88 x 3 x 9 inches
- Product Weight: 3.6 pounds
- Lightweight and compact
- The battery lasts a long time
- It is ergonomic and comfortable to use
- Variable speed button stopped working after a short time for some users
- Durability questioned by some users
6. GALAX PRO 20 V Lithium-Ion 1/4″ Hex Cordless Impact Driver
This is a ¼ inch hex cordless impact driver equipped with a built-in LED light for increased visibility.It has a high variable speed of 2800 RPM. There is a variable speed switch that helps you have more control over your drilling speed. It has an impact rate of 0-3000 IPM.
It is equipped with a 1.3ah lithium-ion battery with a battery level indicator to show the remaining battery life so that you are not inconvenienced when working (or can at least plan accordingly).
The tool has been specialized such that you can change the bit quickly. To remove bits from the device, you just have to pull back the collet.
The drill has an ergonomic handle design made of soft rubber to give you a comfortable grip.
- Package Dimensions: 10.31 x 8.11 x 3.11 inches
- Product Weight: 2.3 pounds
- Built-in LED light for higher visibility of target
- High variable speed of 2800 rpm with an impact rate of 0-3000 IPM
- Battery level indicator offers convenience
- Specialized for a quick bit change
- Ergonomic design for comfort
- Not intended for heavy duty tasks
- Durability is questionable (but suitable for home repair tasks)
All the battery-powered impact drivers above are excellent picks if you are looking for value for money. To help you settle on one particular one, we differentiate the different drivers in this section. Here is a quick guide:
Most powerful drivers: Many people are always looking for as powerful a driver as possible, though their needs only depend on the intensity of their task. As much as all the drivers above are powerful, the best is the Campbell Hausfeld Air Impact Driver, as it offers speeds up to 8000 RPM and 1200 impacts per minute, which is impressive.
Driver with most control options: Precision and control are useful if you are looking for accuracy. In this case, a driver that can easily give you that is the Campbell Hausfeld Air Impact Driver which has three-speed controls for increased versatility.
Most lightweight driver: There are both pros and cons of going for a lightweight driver. Many people still find that lightweight drivers are easy to control. When we compare the six, the most lightweight driver is the Bosch PS41-2A 12V Max 1/4-Inch Hex Impact Driver Kit that only weighs 2.1 pounds, making it the lightest comparatively. The downside of course is that lighter tools tend to be made with weaker materials.
Least expensive driver: When we look at the prices, the cheapest driver is the GALAX PRO Impact Driver that retails at only $42.99.
Our overall recommendation: If you are budget-conscious, we recommend the GALAX PRO Impact driver that is affordable but will still do the job excellently. If the price is not an issue for you, we recommend the Campbell Hausfeld Air Impact Driver as it has many great features that you will love.
Even though you may already have an idea of what you will choose, it is also good to know the factors that are important when it comes to impact drivers. Some of the factors include:
Battery Voltage: When looking for a battery-powered driver, most drivers have a voltage of between 12 and 18 volts, though some have even higher levels. The voltage is an indicator of what scale of work the machine can do. The higher the voltage the more the tool can do.
Battery size: The size of the battery is usually measured in amp-hours. The bigger the battery’s size, the more convenient as this means that you can use it for longer without a recharge. That, therefore, means that you should opt for a battery with the highest amp-hours possible.
Features: Most drills will more or less have the same features, but some have extra features. One of the most essential “extra” features is a clutch that helps the tool to switch between drill or drive modes rapidly.
Some have a hammer function that allows the drill to work on hard surfaces such as concrete or stone.
Chuck size: Many battery-powered drivers have different chuck sizes such as 1/4inch, 3/8 inch, or ½ inch. It is better to go for the biggest possible diameter, as that means that it will not inconvenience you when you have to drill larger holes. However, the driver to look out for here is largely determined by your needs.
Ergonomics: The ergonomics of a driver determine how comfortable the tool will be. If possible, look for a rubber grip as they help in reducing vibration.
Torque: A high torque makes the tool more effective and efficient while taking the operator’s stress away. The higher the torque of your impact driver, the better.
Price: There is a big price range for impact drivers, such that there is something for everyone. It would be best to first know what you want in terms of the features then searching accordingly.
One last tip: although you may have all your features right, knowing the experiences other customers had with the tool will help shape your expectations. That means that you should not skip on reviews as they will help you learn about their experiences.
We hope this guide helps you find the best battery powered impact driver!